The Charles Lee Powell Foundation is a 501(c) (3) corporation that has a strong history of supporting science and engineering programs at four California universities:
- California Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- University of California, San Diego
- University of Southern California
The Foundation remains focused on funding impactful grants to the engineering programs at this limited number of recipient institutions, and is not entertaining new solicitations or changing this list of grantee institutions.
The Charles Lee Powell Foundation has given grants in support of education and specifically schools that teach engineering over $115 million dollars since its inception.
The Charles Lee Powell Foundation has been a major supporter of education since its inception, giving grants totalling over $115 million dollars to schools that teach engineering. This support has been instrumental in helping these schools to provide a high quality education to their students. The Foundation has also been a major supporter of scholarships for students studying engineering. These scholarships have helped to attract and retain the best and brightest students in the field of engineering. The Charles Lee Powell Foundation’s support has been essential in ensuring that schools that teach engineering are able to provide a world-class education to their students.
- Charles Lee Powell Structural Systems Laboratory
- Franklin Antonio Hall
- Charles Lee Powell Chair in Wireless Communication
- Charles Lee Powell Endowed Chair in Mathematics I
- Charles Lee Powell Endowed Chair in Mathematics II
- Charles Lee Powell Endowed Graduate Fellowship
- Herbert Kunzel Endowed Scholarship Fellowship Fund
- EnVision Arts and Engineering Maker Studio
- Charles Lee Powell Hall of Information Sciences and Systems Engineering
- Charles Lee Powell Photonics Instructional Laboratory
- Charles Lee Powell Chair in Computer Engineering
- Charles Lee Powell Chair in Electrical Engineering
- Endowed Herbert Kunzel Fellowships for PhD students
- Faculty Research & Equipment Grants
Our Board of Directors
William “Will” Holliday joined the board of directors in 2015, assumed the role of President and Chief Executive Officer in 2022 and serves on the foundation’s Investment Committee.
Mary Berglund joined the board of directors in 1997, serves as the foundation’s Treasurer and is the chairperson for the foundation’s Investment Committee for the Charles Lee Powell Foundation
William “Bill” M. Low joined the board of directors in 2015, serves as Chairperson of both the Audit and Compensation Committees, as well as a member of the foundation’s Investment Committee.